10AM-5PM September 17th
@ The USS Hornet Museum
in Alameda, CA
Have fun on the USS Hornet and support a good cause! Only $25 for general admission and $30 for all-access!
PURCHASE TICKETS NOW!
Fall Kraken Con 2015 was held on board the USS Hornet Sea, Air, and Space Museum as a once-in-a-lifetime convention on an aircraft carrier. Ever since then, there have been numerous inquiries about whether we'd hold another event on the ship. While we hadn't planned on it, the USS Hornet suffered losses when their major fundraiser had to be canceled due to a power outage and so we thought this would be a golden opportunity to join forces and have a special fundraising cosplay event. Ticket sales benefit the USS Hornet Sea, Air, and Space Museum, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization and historic landmark!
ACTIVITIES & Amenities
Fun & Games
Orienteering Game on Flight Deck
"Treasure" Hunt in Hangar Bay - small prize for everyone who completes it!
A special guest will be joining us and signing autographs!
Free photo shoot by our photogs against an amazing backdrop!
Photo opportunities with aircraft and other unique items!
Costume Contest with some awesome prizes!
See rules here!
Raffle featuring autographed items to support the USS Hornet - including art, DVDs, Funko Pops, and other toys!
Explore the USS Hornet Museum, including Apollo exhibits!
Anime screening of some great new and classic titles
Free parking abounds!
Changing tent - if you'd rather change into your costume onsite.
Bag check - the USS Hornet restricts bags larger than 12” x 8” x 12”.
Will there be artists and vendors at this event?
No, but if you feel like spending money you'll have the opportunity to purchase raffle tickets for your chance to win various signed merchandise and memorabilia, with all money going to the USS Hornet Museum (a 501c3 nonprofit organization). The USS Hornet also has a gift shop with t-shirts and other merchandise.
Can I wear my costume?
Yes - cosplay is encouraged (although not required!). Please see the policies below to ensure your costume is appropriate for the event. We also recommend wearing comfortable shoes and sunblock!
Do I have to cosplay to attend?
Nope! Everyone is welcome to come out, support a good cause and have fun!
Are press badges available?
Due to the fundraising nature of this event, only parties with valid press credentials may be considered. A limited number of Press Badges will be granted on a case-by-case basis to reporters and journalists who work for established print, online and broadcast news organizations.
What are All-Access perks?
All-access attendees receive access to other areas of the ship that are typically off-limits (great for photos!) and a special autograph session.
How do I purchase tickets?
Is there food and drink available for purchase?
Yes - the USS Hornet has a concession stand on board the ship.
Is the event handicap accessible?
Unfortunately the USS Hornet is a designated historic site and does not have handicap accessibility. Those with limited mobility (e.g. wheelchairs) may explore the Hangar Bay level, and those who can stand for extended periods may also go up to the Flight Deck. The ship has steep staircases to other levels and is not recommended for those with mobility issues.
Is parking free?
Yes, parking is free and plentiful.
Is there public transportation available?
Yes, but please be aware that additional walking is required (approximately 1 mile). The closest BART station is at 12th St and Broadway in Oakland (near the Oakland Marriott); AC Transit bus line #96 goes from 12th St and Broadway to Pan Am Way & Ranger Ave. The USS Hornet Museum is a mile walk from the bus stop.
All functioning bags (regardless if part of a cosplay or not) must meet bag size restrictions of 12”x8”x12”. A bag check area will be provided outside of the USS Hornet Museum by Kraken Con staff.
All clothing and costumes must be appropriate under Alameda County and California public decency laws and all private parts must be covered – no nudity allowed. There should be no chance of slippage or gaps. Additionally:
1. Shoes must be worn at all times. Comfortable shoes are recommended as staircases can be steep and the ship is large, requiring a lot of walking. It may be difficult to walk in heels!
2. Undergarments of any kind (bras, panties, boxers, etc) should not be visible.
3. Skirts/shorts should completely cover the derriere.
4. Tops should not be so low cut as to reveal undergarments or excessive décolletage.
5. Bare midriff is allowed as long as the rest of the outfit conforms to all other listed requirements.
6. Topless or open shirt cosplay is not permissible.
7. Cosplay involving one-piece Japanese bathing suits (sukumizu) may be worn under other clothing and revealed for photos only.
8. While military uniforms and costumes inspired by the military – both the US and abroad – are welcomed, please refrain from wearing swastikas or other Nazi party regalia.
1. All props must be under 6’4” in height and 48” in width. Non-functioning bags (cannot be opened or used to store items) are considered props and must meet these requirements as well. Exceptions may be made for modular props which can be taken apart and put back together.
2. All props must be examined by Kraken Con staff for safety and tagged at the peacebonding station prior to entering the museum. Real weapons, props that are too realistic, or props that are deemed dangerous will not be permitted.
3. Props must be carried carefully and in a neutral position, especially in crowded areas. Long or tall props are to be carried vertically and swords or guns should be holstered or otherwise secured.
4. Misuse of any prop will result in immediate revocation of privileges. Props are not to be used in a threatening manner towards any person.
1. Functional weapons are not allowed. Weapon props created out of plastic, cardboard, foam or other such materials are permissible provided they are not too realistic in appearance. Airsoft guns (even if non-functional), replica guns, swords with metal and other weapons that have metal components are not allowed. Please note all props must conform to the aforementioned height/width dimensions.
©2017 Sea Monster Media. All rights reserved. USS Hornet Museum name used with permission.